What and how to prepare when expecting a hurricane coming to your area?
Just last week, hurricane Harvey left a massive catastrophic memory to the people in Texas. It has caused at least 66 confirmed deaths; 1 in Guyana, and 65 in the United States. Catastrophic inland flooding is ongoing in the Greater Houston metropolitan area. And now, another hurricane is about to set on the lands of USA, it’s called hurricane Irma.
How and what to prepare when expecting a hurricane in your area? Check out the list below.
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that can have big impacts on a community regardless of their strength.
Safety experts and emergency management officials say it’s critical to plan ahead.
Consider packing these items in a hurricane survival kit.
Food and water
Stock a 3-day supply for each family member including pets. Store in sealed, unbreakable containers. Identify the expiration date and replace every six months.
- Bottled Water – At least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days. Don’t forget to add water for your pets, too.
- Water Purification Tablets – These can be ordered at www.quakekare.com.
- Non-Perishable Foods – At least enough for 3 to 7 days. You may need to make special consideration for infants or the elderly.
- High-Energy Packaged Foods – Peanut butter, crackers, nuts, raisins and dried fruits, snacks, cookies, etc.
- Packaged Juices – Cans or Cartons
- Canned Prepared Meats
- Canned Prepared Foods
- Baby Food and Baby Formula
- Pet Food (Note: Many shelters do not allow pets.)
- Powdered or Canned Evaporated Milk
- Special Dietary Needs
- Toilet Paper and Moist Towelettes
- Baby Diapers and Wet Wipes
- Sponges and Paper Towels
- Soap and Shampoo
- Toiletries – Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant
- Change of Clothing – At least one change for each person
- Rain Gear – Ponchos, Umbrellas, Boots
- Blankets, Sleeping Bags and Pillows
- Flashlights – One flashlight per person with one extra package of batteries each.
- Battery-Powered Radio – Don’t forget extra batteries
- Alarm Clock
- Portable Cooler/Ice Chest
- Bleach – Pure, unscented liquid
- Can Opener – Hand-operated
- Utility Knife
- Pots, Pans, Cooking Spoons
- Disposable Plates, Cups, Utensils
- Sterno Cans
- Butane Lighters and Waterproof Matches – Keep in plastic bags to protect
- Portable Barbecue Grill or Camping Stove
- Charcoal and Lighter Fluid or Stove Fuel
- Pet Carriers, Bowls, Leashes, Chain and Stake
- Plastic Grocery Bags – You’ll use them for everything!
- Mobile Device Chargers and Power Supplies
- Driver’s License or Photo ID – For each person
- Important Phone Numbers – Updated address book
- Home Video/Photos for Insurance
- Extra Set of Car Keys
- List of Important Family Information – Serial numbers of medical devices such as pacemakers, etc.
- Prescription Medication – A two-week supply if possible
- Doctor and Pharmacy Contact Information
- Medical Paperwork – Including insurance cards, a copy of all prescriptions and a list of known allergies
- Pain Relief and Anti-Diarrhea Medications
- First-Aid Kit
- Insect Repellent
- Feminine Hygiene Products and Birth Control
Click here to download the free Live 5 News and First Alert Weather apps for constant news and weather updates plus alerts on dangerous weather moving your way.
She lets everyone become aware of what is happening to our beloved planet Earth and its inhabitants. She can take you beyond the space and find out how neighbor planets are doing. Moreover, she would open your eyes to the things what makes the Earth suffer including the living species and allow you to decide what you can do to help save the planet and the future generation.